Saturday, March 8, 2014

Blue Shampoo Alternative: DIY


What I'm about to share is nothing new. I've seen it in a couple of blogs and some youtube videos before but since I'm sure there are still people out there who are not aware, here's a simple DIY blue hot oil for those who have lightened their hair using box dyes at home. This is for those who either chose a very light hair color for a lift or for those who bleached their hair.


One of the most annoying thing about coloring Asian hair is that after a couple of washes, your hair becomes brassy. This is most especially evident with ash tone hair colors. A quick and easy fix at home is to do your own blue hot oil. Other people use blue shampoo. You can also buy those and it will definitely help in toning your hair color. Personally, though, since blue/purple shampoo is hard to find and because I'm such a cheapskate, I like to use hot oil plus blue food color.

I've read a couple of articles about it before and apparently, what happens is that initially when your hair is colored, you have all the primary colors in there and the balanced mixture creates the color you're seeing after your initial application. Now when you start washing your hair, blue pigments are the first to be washed out leaving the unbalanced proportion of blue, yellow and red. Meaning, the red and yellow gets stronger than the blue. And what does the mixture of red and yellow turn out to be? Orange. That's why most hair color turns brassy/orange after a while. I'm not sure if you understood the explanation. I would've linked the original article where I found the explanation but I can't seem to find it anymore. Anyway, if you have questions, write them down in the comment section below.


So back to what I was saying, to keep your hair from being brassy, you just have to give it some dose of blue pigments to re-balance everything out. I do this by mixing a hot oil cream that I buy from Watson's and blue food color. You don't have to use it everyday. I personally just use it twice a week. It's the perfect frequency since I feel that it doesn't only help with the hair color but also keeps your hair healthy (because of the hot oil treatment).

Just to be clear, though, this doesn't completely stop the hair from looking brassy. It slows it down. So your hair might turn brassy but it would take some time. I saw this trick from Orange Tuazon's blog and Clairbellatv. Have you also tried this before? Share your thoughts!

with love, Anna Luisa

No comments: