Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Nizoral Dandruff Shampoo: Review

Dandruff... It is quite a common scalp problem for a lot of people, me included. Although dandruff isn't dangerous and is easily controlled, it can still be embarassing to have flakes that dot your hair and sometimes fall on your shoulders. The good news is, dandruff shampoo is already widely distributed all over the world so mild symptoms of these cases may be resolved easily.


There are several causes of dandruff. Some of them are having dry skin, not shampooing enough, irritating hair products, change in weather and many other factors. To read more about dandruff, you can view this link from Mayo Clinic.

Early in December, I noticed that my scalp was getting itchy and flaky. Knowing about dandruff, I got myself a dandruff shampoo. It wasn't my first time encountering this problem so I already knew which brand to get-- Head and Shoulders. This commercial brand usually does the trick for me. However, even after using the product for weeks, I saw no improvements. In fact, I felt that my dandruff got worse. My initial response was to switch shampoo. I got Gard. Gard was working well for my dandruff but was breaking me out. Hence, I stopped using it as well.

I did a thorough review (in my head) before going to sleep and thought about the factors that may have led to this problem. I knew I had good hair hygiene as I wash my hair regularly. I also make it a point that I use conditioner to keep my hair (and scalp) from drying out. And although I was using more products for my permed hair, I never used them intensively and only used products everytime I go out, which is rare seeing as I work from home. Long story short, I wasn't able to pin point the cause.

A day after, I talked to my mom and told her about my problem. She suggested that I try Nizoral shampoo and without any delays, I did. I got myself several sachets to try out. Nizoral shampoo is an antifungal shampoo. I found out later that a yeast-like fungus, malassezia, could be the culprit for dandruff. Although this fungus lives on the scalp of most adults, some people are sensitive to it and it causes dandruff. After looking closely at the Nizoral dandruff shampoo packaging, I found out that this particular product is an antifungal. So I figured it was worth the try.

 Maximum treatment (Do not forget to use conditioner afterwards.)

I got myself two variants-- Maximum and Regular treatment. I used the maximum variant for about two weeks and used the regular variant afterwards. Instruction said I only had to use it twice a week (maximum) so that's exactly what I did. Now, I'm on my fourth week of using the product. I can say that my scalp condition has greatly improved. Not only did the flaking significantly decrease, the itching also disappeared. I highly recommend this product, giving it a double thumbs up.

 Regular Treatment has conditioner in it (but I still use a separate conditioner after this)

Have you been suffering from dandruff too? Are you considering getting this product? Have you tried this product? Let me know your thoughts in the comment section below.
With Love,
Anna Luisa

No comments: